Do you know what to do if your air conditioner suddenly stops blowing cold air? You can call a 24 hour air conditioning repair service to have the problem fixed or you can try to fix the problem yourself. One of the common reasons that an air conditioner stops blowing cold air is because the condenser is dirty. This is a simple fix, so before you call a repair company, see if cleaning the unit fixes your problem.
What You Need:
- Owner's manual
- Long, handheld brush
- Vacuum cleaner and bristle brush attachment
- Garbage bag
- Duct tape
- Garden hose
- Hose nozzle that lets you spray a gentle stream of water
- Turn off your air conditioner unit. Different models of air conditioners are powered on and off differently, so look in your owner's manual to find instructions for completely shutting down the unit and follow them. Alternatively, you can turn off the power to the unit at the circuit breaker. After you cut power to the unit, wait a few minutes before proceeding to make sure the charge to the unit has died completely.
- Unscrew the air conditioner's top and side panels. Then, remove them completely. If the fan is attached to one of the panels, make sure you don't damage any of the wiring during the process.
- Remove debris and dirt from the condenser coils and the metal panel that protects them using a long, handheld brush.
- Vacuum any remaining debris and dirt out from around the condenser coils and the bottom of the air conditioner unit using a bristled vacuum cleaner attachment.
- Place a garbage bag over the air conditioner's motor and wiring. Then, use duct tape to hold it in place.
- Attach a nozzle to your garden hose that allow you to spray a gentle stream of water.
- Use the garden hose to spray down your air
conditioner'scondenser coils and protective plates. Let them dry completely.
- Reattach the side and top panels.
- Turn your thermostat off, and restart your air conditioning unit. Then, reset your thermostat.
After you've cleaned the condenser coils completely and restarted your AC unit, it should be blowing out cold air from the vents again. If you can't feel cold air coming from the vents, there is probably something else wrong with your unit. You should consider calling a 24-hour emergency air conditioning repair company to access the damage to the unit and make any needed repairs.